Use this checklist to make your move an organized and easy one!
1+ months before Moving Day
- Schedule Your Move
- If you hire a Moving Company, schedule your moving date.
- Decide which furniture and other items will be moving with you and what should be given away or sold or stored prior to the move.
- Get boxes, Packing supplies and Start Packing, starting with out-of-season or infrequently used items. Catalog your valuables (a good idea to also take pictures). Remember to keep weight below 50 lbs.
- Change of Address: https://moversguide.usps.com.
- Set up utilities**
- GAS: CenterPoint Energy-Minnegasco #612-372-4727
Start Service Form: http://mn.centerpointenergy.com/ocss/email/start_residential_service.asp
- ELECTRIC : Xcel Energy #1-800-895-4999 Start Service Form: https://www2.xcelenergy.com/webapp/InternetAppsWebApp/StartServiceRes.jsp
- WATER/SEWER, TRASH & RECYCLING - contact your city for providers
- CABLE TELEVISION & TELEPHONE SERVICE - Comcast at 651-222-3333 or www.comcast.com. CenturyLink 866-642-0444 www.centurylink.com
**If the water or gas has been shut off to the property, you’ll need to schedule a licensed technician to disconnect and re-connect water and gas lines.
- Transfer any subscriptions, lawn care or cleaning services.
- Transfer school records
- Make arrangements for Children, pets, and “helpers”. Keep pets in a crate, occupy children.
- Move Valuables, important papers, titles, deeds, and similar items.
- Clear Walkways inside and outside of clutter, including doing any snow or ice removal on the steps, sidewalks and driveways. Remember to clear the snow off any outdoor furniture.
- All Items Packed and ready to be moved
- Pack a "handy items box" for your first night and day in your new home. It should include scissors, utility knife, cups, paper plates and towels, toilet paper, snacks, and beverages, soap, pens and paper, local phone book, tape, bath towels, trash bags, toiletries, sponge and cleaning supplies.
- Final Walk-through - Conduct a final walk through with your moving team to ensure no items are left behind. Inspect the basement, attic, and garage. Be sure to lock your windows and doors.
- If using a moving company, keep a completed bill of lading until your possessions are delivered to your new home, the charges are paid and any claims are settled.
Take your closing paperwork to the City Hall to Homestead your taxes. You must do this before December 1 to have Homestead tax rate for following year.